Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesdays on the Run: Favourite Medals

Oh hey Tuesday!

Today I'm linking up with Marcia, Patty and Erica for Tuesdays on the Run.  Today's topic is Favourite Medals.  I've raced so much I have a ton of medals.  It's a little crazy really.   And I can confidently say that many of them have a lot of great significance to me.  But for the sake of keeping things short and sweet, I'm going to list my top 5 in chronological order.



1) Boston 2003.  This was my first Boston Marathon and my third marathon.  It was probably one of the worst races of my life.  It was super hot, I was over trained and I went out way too fast at the start.  But I didn't know any better.  I finished but not without a lot of tears and a lot of walking.  If there's one thing I took away from this race it's that I'm mentally a lot stronger than I give myself credit for.  



2)  Ironman Lake Placid: 2006.  This was my first Ironman.  It was such an amazing day.  I raced with G and a couple of friends.  Both my family and G's family came to cheer us on as well as a bunch of our friends.  I couldn't have asked for a more memorable day.  



3) Boston 2013.   This race will go down in history as one of the most tragic events in sporting history.  I will never forget it not only for that but because it was an absolutely perfect day for me race wise.  I set my current marathon P.R and had the best race of my life.  It was perfectly executed from start to finish.  I went from celebrating to mourning in the span of a couple of hours.   And what a difference 10 years makes in terms of the bling issued! 




4) Scotiabank Half Marathon 2013:  This was my second big A race of 2013.  My goal was to break 1:30.  My training went so well, I knew I could do it, the question would be by how much.  I went on to run a 1:27:11 which netted me 3rd place Masters female and 21st female overall.  This was a HUGE deal because it was the biggest race I had made the podium on.   Again, it was another race that was almost perfectly executed.  And I think I was smiling the entire time, haha.


5)  IM Luxembourg 70.3:  This was to be mine and G's 10th wedding anniversary race.  Because that's what we like to do.  5 weeks out from the race, he had a bike crash and separated his shoulder so he couldn't race.  I toyed with the idea of not racing, right up to just before race day.  But, I had trained hard and it was going to be my first half Ironman in almost 10 years so I wanted to see what I was capable of.  I knew G would be out on the course cheering me on.  I went on to have an absolutely amazing race.  I loved every second of it.  Racing in Europe is such an incredible experience.  I squeaked into the top 10 in a really competitive European field, which completely surprised me.  It was the perfect way to start our European vacation.  The only thing better would have been to have G out on the course as well but I know we'll venture over to Europe to race again at some point.  



Do you have a favourite race medal?  What is it and why is it your favourite?
Head on over to the link up to check out some more awesome bling! 

No comments: