Sunday, February 28, 2016

#OperationTop5 week 8: Another Week, Another Detour

One step forward, three steps back seems to be the theme of my life these last few weeks.  I am beginning to think the Universe is trying to tell me something.  It's definitely testing my patience.  I finish my run rehab, I get sick so I miss almost a week of training.  Just as I start to ramp things up, I ended up aggravating my piriformis muscle in my right glut on Wednesday night at the gym. It was plain stupidity on my part and I should know better.  I didn't do a proper warm up before I started my weight workout.  I swear my brain still thinks I'm 25 when in reality I'm pushing 45.  I did some upper body and then went to do legs.  I was doing a single leg squat to deadlift and it was during the squat where I felt it seize up.  All I could think was CRAAAPPPPP.  It hurt to walk.  I finished up my workout with only upper body work and went home, iced, gently stretched and took some anti inflammatories before I went to bed.  I felt somewhat better in the morning but it was still sore when I walked up stairs.  I skipped my run on Thursday morning and went for a massage on Thursday night.  My SI joint on my right side was also fairly stuck so she released that.  Friday I went to my ART / chiro guy and he did some ART on my hip and glut.  I iced some more.  He told me to take Saturday off.  I was supposed to do my FTP test.  My coach said no way, take the rest.  Saturday I was quite sore and really frustrated.  There were some tears.  I always tend to go down the worst case scenario road so of course I was envisioning my entire season going down the toilet.

I felt a bit better when I got up this morning.  My coach said I could swim so I hit the pool with my Masters club and did my longest swim since my last Ironman in 2008.  I swam 3600m (200m short of an Ironman distance swim!)  I actually felt really good.  My lower back was a bit sore afterwards but I felt looser.  It didn't hurt to walk up the stairs any more.  I spent a few hours doing some meal prep (made some banana bread, because, snacking priorities of course!), and managed to sneak in an episode of Breaking Bad while G was downstairs on the bike, hehe.


I'm going to have a hot bath tonight and take a Robaxacet before I go to bed.  I'm hoping that tomorrow, I'm close to 100%.  Monday is my official rest day so even if I feel good, I'll still take the day off.   I go back to see my Chiro on Tuesday morning and we'll re-asses everything.  I am keeping my fingers crossed I'm on the up and up.  I'm scheduled to race in less than 4 weeks so I'd really like to be able to do that!

Despite my little detour this week, I still got a few workouts in so I'm linking up with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap.


Monday:  OFF

Tuesday:  45 minute ride

Wednesday:  3000m swim in a.m. 50 minute weight workout in p.m.

Thursday:  OFF

Friday:  2000m swim

Saturday:  OFF

Sunday:  3600m swim.  I SO wish I was able to run today because it was 14 degrees celsius and sunny.  It's the end of February.  That is NOT normal.


Total time:  4h 30 minutes

I have to say I was very happy to see the end of this past week.  It sucked.  Work was irritating, the weather was crappy (until today) and I was just generally cranky.  Such is life.  I'm happy to see the end of February, it's definitely my least favourite month.  On the positive side, I'm heading into my birthday week this week so there will be CAKE.  And dinner with friends.  YAY!

And.......I have a little contest happening on the blog tomorrow to celebrate a few things so make sure you swing by tomorrow to check it out!

That's a wrap!

How was your week?  Have you done something silly that resulted in an injury?

No comments: