Tuesday, June 4, 2013

B&BT's Peanut Butter & Banana Amazeballs

I had been thinking about this combo since I made my first round of Amazeballs (that's what I'm calling these little bites of joy) but I didn't actually get around to making them until this weekend.  I had all the ingredients on hand but then I kept eating all the banana chips.  After going through 4 packages of them in the last 3 weeks, I figured enough was enough and that I had better actually MAKE these before I ate a 5th package of banana chips.  If I really like something, I have a hard time NOT eating it.  That's why I don't keep ice cream in the house. 

I'm really happy with the way these turned out.  Very peanutty with a hint of banana.  If you want to amp up the banana flavour then I suppose you could add banana extract in place of the vanilla extract.  Or maybe go 50/50 with the extracts, half banana and half vanilla.  It's your call!

B&BT's Peanut Butter and Banana Amazeballs

1.5 cups of puffed quinoa
3/4 cup of quick cook oats
3/4 cup of banana chips, whizzed through the food processor into really small pieces.  I prefer to use unsweetened banana chips, sweetened ones are too sweet for my liking.
3 TBSP of ground flax
1/3 cup of brown rice syrup
1/3 cup of peanut butter (I used organic smooth)
1 tsp of vanilla

Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Put the rice syrup and vanilla in a pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat.  Add the peanut butter and mix well.  Pour liquid over dry ingredients and mix well.  Let mixture cool slightly before rolling into balls.  Store in a container in the fridge or put in the freezer and thaw as necessary.  Definitely let them come up to room temperature before eating them otherwise they are chewy.  Makes approximately 24. 

The next time I make these I may actually add a bit of salt to them.  They aren't overly sweet but I think the salt might make the flavours pop a bit more.

I can't wait to get out on the bike for a long ride so I can eat these! 


No comments: