Monday, October 1, 2012

Ode to the Great Orange Gourd, Part One: Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

Now that October is here, it's officially fall in my mind, despite the cooler than normal temps we've been experiencing already.  Fall means crisp air, cozy sweaters, Thanksgiving and a proliferation of pumpkin-related things.  Starbucks brought their pumpkin spice latte back in early September but it just didn't feel right indulging in one of those on a balmy September afternoon.  Personally I think they jumped the gun.  Now that October is here, I may indulge in those a little more often.  My overall pumpkin consumption is somewhat constant throughout the year, but it definitely spikes with the arrival of fall.  Especially Thanksgiving.  Really,  what is Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie?  The two go hand in hand.   There was one Thanksgiving my mom decided to be oh-so-untraditional and not make a pumpkin pie.  I can't even begin to tell you the trauma that caused my sister and I.  I still haven't gotten over it.  To this day I always ask my mom if there's going to be pumpkin pie for dessert.

Obsess much?

Clearly.  So, I'm dedicating today's post to my favourite vegetable.  So versatile and yet so humble.   I am presenting you with 4 of my favourite pumpkin recipes over the next 4 weeks.   I know it can be used in savoury recipes (I've made an amazing pumpkin soup) but personally I like it slightly sweet.  Or at least topped with something sweet.  If you're a pumpkin fanatic like I am, you're bound to love these recipes.

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

I can't take credit for this entire recipe.  It has been adapted from Georgie Fear's recipe in Fuel Up (amazing cookbook by the way).  Her pancake recipe is nothing short of amazing on it's own but I was craving pumpkin so I tweaked it a bit.  I topped mine with 100% pure Canadian maple syrup, which is seriously a match made in heaven.  This is what helped fuel me to my overall Masters Female win at the Oakville Half Marathon. 

1 cup of quick cook oats
1 cup of egg whites
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup of 1% cottage cheese
1/2 tbsp of baking powder
2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp of ground cinnamon**
1/2 tsp of allspice**

**you could substitute 1.5- 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice for these spices.

Put everything into a blender pitcher and puree it until smooth.    Pour onto a pre-heated non stick frying pan and cook until top starts to bubble.  Flip and cook another couple of minutes until done. 

Makes roughly 6 medium sized pancakes. 

Tune in next Monday for another pumpkin recipe!

Pumpkin Nirvana!

What's your favourite pumpkin recipe?


No comments: