Sunday, October 28, 2012

Start Spreading the News...

I'm leaving on Friday!!  Ahhhhhhhhh!

Oh how my tune has changed from last week's post.  I think I have Frank Sinatra to thank for that.   The day after I wrote that post, I was heading out to meet my run group and New York, New York came on my iTunes playlist.  I couldn't help but smile.  I think at that point the full realization of where I was going and what I was going to do, hit me.   I've never been to New York and I've never participated in a race this big. 

So yes, the excitement has finally kicked in.  I was dancing around the kitchen singing "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere....."  G turned to me and said "So you're not really excited, right?"  Ah touche my love, touche.

I think excited is an understatement.

This time next week, I will be just over an hour and 30 minutes into my journey.  So I should be somewhere around 18 km depending on how I'm feeling.   I went out for a 16km run yesterday and my legs didn't feel great.  I'm not surprised given I had a massage on Wednesday and then did a kick heavy swim on Friday.  But, I've still got a week of recovery left.  The positive thing was that my achilles didn't bother me at all.  I could feel it getting a bit tight towards the end but I stopped to stretch and that seemed to help. I've got one more session on Thursday with my PT.  I've been given all sorts of exercises to do.  Once the race is over we're going to get down to business to fix the underlying issues on my left side.  I don't have much mobility in my left ankle and I'm not engaging some of my calf muscles so there is some compensation happening in my other muscles.  This is the first time in 14 years that I've had any sort of calf / achilles issues and I am I chalking it up to the Newtons and the fact that I did pretty much no calf work at all this year.  Not a good combo.  

So while I'm excited about the marathon, I am also excited to stop, give my body a break and take the time to work on making it stronger so I can get through next year injury free.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on the task at hand: getting through another 26.2 miles upright and smiling.


No comments: