I'm linking up with Cynthia at You Signed Up For What? (LOVE that blog title), Mar at Mar on the Run and Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, for their Friday Five to talk about what's in my gym bag.
1) First things first. The bag itself deserves a special mention. I used to carry another gym bag and my swim team would make fun of me because it was so massive. I could have packed for a long weekend in that bag (and I have as a matter of fact). A few months back I saw a couple of bloggers review the Apera performance duffel bag and my interest was piqued. I wanted one of my own. It was a little on the pricey side ($124 US) and without seeing it in person, I wasn't 100% sure I'd love it. As luck would have it they were at the Boston Marathon Expo and they had an expo special of 20% off. So of course, I bought one. Or rather G bought it for me. I think it was the best thing I got from that trip. The bag is so awesome, it deserves a post of it's own. Perhaps that will come down the road....
|This is the colour combo I got.|
2) Two towels. Why two? If you've seen my hair, then you'll understand why. I have a regular towel and then a microfiber towel for my hair. It's something my hairdresser recommended. Apparently wrapping curly hair in a regular towel will make it frizzy. So I scrunch dry my hair with a microfiber towel to keep it from frizzing. Seems to work. Nobody ever said that having nice curls was easy, ha ha.
3) Snack food: This is a must in my life because the last thing anyone wants is me with the "hangries". I usually try to make sure I have a whole food option for a snack but since things like that are perishable, the next best thing are bars. I generally have at least 2-3 stashed in my bag. Lara Bars are my favourite. I currently have 1 Pecan Pie Clif Bar, 1 Cashew Lara Bar and 1 Coconut Cream Lara Bar.
4) Flip flops. I don't think these EVER leave my gym bag and there's a good reason. Gym & pool floors are DISGUSTING.
5) Hair elastics & an extra swim cap. Nothing sucks more than getting to the pool and either ripping your normal swim cap or forgetting said swim cap. Trying to force an afro under a swim cap without the help of a hair elastic to tame it, also sucks. I've learned my lesson so I keep extras of both in my bag.
A lock. Because getting to the gym and realizing that you've left your lock at home is not fun.
An extra bra and extra underwear. I've forgotten both (luckily not at the same time) and going commando or wearing my stinky sports bra all day are not high on my list of things that I love to do.
What's in YOUR gym bag?
Head on over to Mar on the Run, Eat Pray Run DC and You Signed up for What to see what other people are toting around in their gym bags!