Thursday, September 27, 2012

Playlist Thursday: All Around the World

Here we go with another edition of Playlist Thursday.  This one is a veritable free for all, literally.   This week's them is Viewer's Choice so we can literally pick whatever we want.  I am really looking forward to checking out all the other participants selections!  I know I could have bored you all with another all Rush playlist but I decided to branch out a bit more.  Ok, a LOT more.  I'm taking my playlist international.  Yup, I'm going all around the world for this one, with stops in Iceland, NYC via Ukraine and Brazil.  Get ready for an explosion of diversity.

Playlist Thursday "Rules":

Something Old:  Songs that are at least 5 years old.  
Something Current:  Songs that have been released in the past year.
Something to Consider:  This is the wild card category.  Any song goes:  old, current, guilty pleasure, whatever floats yer boat.

Make sure you check out Brian's blog for an updated playlist catalogue.

Something Old 

Artist:  Gogol Bordello
Title:  Wanderlust King
Notable: I think the term Gypsy Punk was invented to describe their music. I also find it impossible to be in a bad mood when I listen to this song.  If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, I highly recommend it. 
Quotable: "I traveled the world looking for understanding, of the times that we live in, hunting and gathering first hand information, challenging definitions of sin."




Something New

Artist:  Of Monsters and Men
Title:  Little Talks
Notable:  Another great band out of Iceland.  I really love their sound.  Her voice is lovely and I find the tone of this song so uplifting.
Quotable: "Though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore"



SomethingTo Consider

Artist: Bebel Gilberto
Title: Sem Contenção
Notable:  I love love love this woman's voice and I love the spin she puts on her native Brazilian music.   Sem Contenção translates to No Holding Back. 
Quotable: "Sem contenção só na emoção prá ser feliz sem resistir de um puro não prá explicar essa tua intenção"



What do you think?  Was it diverse enough?

5 comments:

PavementRunner said...

Bringing it with the International flair... love it.

Dash said...

What a brilliant playlist! I really love Of Monsters and Men - gorgeous sound and very cool video.

Gogol Bordello are awesome.

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Thanks! I love Gogol Bordello. They are definitely unique. I've just heard another song from Of Monsters and Men and I really like it. I may just download the entire album. :)

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say I have never heard any of these - but I am loving it - especially the second!!!

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Yeah I really love Of Monsters and Men! Gotta love Playlist Thursday!! It's definitely added some new songs to my playlist. Thanks for stopping by. :)