Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mucking About In The Kitchen

I like to cook. I'm always looking for new recipes to try. I wouldn't say I'm an advanced cook by any means, more like the lower end of intermediate but I can definitely hold my own in the kitchen.

I have been very much inspired by the recipes of the lovely and talented Georgie Fear (askgeorgie.com) She mentioned she was working on a recipe for turkey sausage patties. Oooh ahhhh, I thought. I love sausage but finding a low fat option that isn't filled with preservatives and nitrates is tricky. So I hopped on to Allrecipes.com and did some digging. I wanted to see what sort of things people used in them. Did they use eggs as a binder or breadcrumbs? Or did they not use anything at all. I found a recipe that didn't use anything but ground turkey and some herbs and spices. Perfect. I loosely followed the recipe, adding some other spices that people had suggested. End result - pretty good, but still room for improvement. Mainly in the amount of particular seasonings.

Today I attempted to make them again with the seasoning adjustments and I think I've found a winner!

Now of course, I neglected to take note of how much ground turkey I used but I'm going to guess it was probably just over 1 lb. Maybe about 1 1/3 lbs.

PK's Turkey Sausage Patties:

1 1/3 lbs of ground lean turkey (approximate)
1 tsp of dried minced onion
1/2 tsp of ground sage
1/2 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of granulated garlic
1 tsp (approx) of worcester sauce
1/8 tsp of cayenne (or more if you want them spicier)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything up thoroughly and form into oval shaped patties.

Heat up a frying pan to medium high heat and coat with non stick spray. Add patties and brown on both sides until cooked through.

I think this took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. I got 6 various sized patties out of this. Had I actually made them uniform size it probably would have made 5. I had 2 for lunch with a nice big pile of roasted veggies. Delish!

2 comments:

Kaisa said...

You use beef in turkey sausage patties? ;) Also, excuse my ignorance but how are sausage patties different from burgers?

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Hahahaha!! Oh my goodness, thanks for pointing that out!!! I just changed it.
They are pretty much exactly the same as burgers except I don't think I'd season my burgers the way these are seasoned. And I make them slightly smaller than I would a burger. :)