Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Case of the Pre-Race Nigglies.

I think that's exactly what any sports doc would diagnose me with right now.  I'm in the middle of my taper for the Toronto Women's Half on Sunday and I am feeling all sorts of aches and pains.

There is the very real pain in my neck that stemmed from sleeping weirdly on Thursday night.  That seems to be getting better.  But it's hard for me to tell.  I do know that there is a whole lotta cracking going on in my neck and shoulders.  Which means that at least things are moving now.  They weren't on Friday & Saturday so that's a plus!

There was the knee pain before, during and after my run last night.  It's miraculously gone today.

There were the horrible foot and calf cramps I had in the pool this morning.   Gone by the time I finished my set.

And there is the general tightness of my back.   It also really seems to want to go snap crackle and pop right now.    Good thing I have a massage scheduled tomorrow night!

Apparently these are all common things that occur to folks during a taper.  They are generally more prevalent in marathon tapers as those are over a longer period of time.  All those aches and pains (nigglies as I like to call them) are apparently just signs that your body is healing.  I'm chalking my nigglies up to the fact that I started my taper early.  Not by choice mind you.  It's all my neck's fault.   But perhaps that neck twinge was a good thing.  Sometimes a bit of forced rest is for the best. Sometimes, your body knows best.

I guess I'll have to wait till Sunday to find out!

No comments: