Friday, May 3, 2013

To Race or not To Race, That is the Question

Those of you that have been reading this blog for the last couple of years, know very well that I have a bit a problem.  I am addicted to racing.  There.  I said it.

The first step to dealing with the problem is to acknowledge it.  Right?

Sometimes I get so focused on the love of competition that I let it cloud my judgement in regards to other things...like the condition of my legs.   Which, in case you were wondering, is probably not really where it should be if I want to race a half well.

I was all excited to run a half 3 weeks after Boston.  That was the plan.  I figured I executed a similar plan perfectly last year, why couldn't I do it again?  I took it much easier this year post race.  I gave myself ample time to recover and I didn't do any hard workouts until this week.  Pace wise things were ok.  But my legs still don't feel 100%.  There is still some residual tightness and nerve issues in my left leg.  I had a good A.R.T session on Wednesday and he said I seemed a whole lot better.  And I am but I still don't feel 100%.   Maybe 95%.  I'm afraid that if I go and race a half, that will just set me back.  I'll need a week to recover and who knows what it will do to the nerve in my leg.  As G said the race this weekend really serves no purpose.  It's not an A race.  It's just a race. 

Of course I struggled with this decision.  I even said I'd leave it to the last minute to register.  But, I need to listen to my body.  I don't want to jeopardize my triathlon season by over doing it too early.  I don't really have anything to gain from doing this race other than a potential age group placing and some points towards my Team Running Free passport.  But I'll be getting lots of those by helping out at the Toronto Marathon Expo. 

So instead of toeing the line on a gorgeous sunny Sunday morning, I will be at the pool sucking in chlorine and then I'll head out for a run and hopefully, if I have the energy, I'll get myself to hot yoga and start working on my flexibility.  Because right now, this is pretty much what things are like for me. 

If I want to continue to run and race at my current level, I really need to take care of myself.    The positive side to this?  The money I saved on a last minute race entry fee will cover at least 8 yoga classes!  Now that's the kind of up side that I like.


Are you racing this weekend? 

No comments: