Thursday, October 11, 2012

Playlist Thursday: Oh the Angst of it All!


I am going through Playlist Thursday withdrawals!  I missed out on last weeks as I just couldn't get myself together in time.  I wasn't going to miss out on this one, especially given that I can focus on music from my teen years (helloooo 80's!).  This weeks theme is "Teenage Angst" so we get to pick songs that remind us of our teen years.  I don't know about you but I love reliving some of the most awkward (yet fun) years of my life. 

Playlist Thursday "Rules":

Something Old:  Songs that are at least 5 years old.  
Something Current:  Songs that have been released in the past year.
Something to Consider:  This is the wild card category.  Any song goes:  old, current, guilty pleasure, whatever floats yer boat.

Make sure you check out Brian's blog for some more musical inspiration!

Something Old 

Artist: The Grapes of Wrath
Title: Misunderstanding
Notable: This song is tied to so many high school memories.  It reminds me a lot of my first serious boyfriend.  I also had huge crushes on the guys in this band.  Good old Canadian boys from Vancouver too!  
Quotable: "So, you don't want to talk, you want to turn your back, angers just a mask, I'll be there when it cracks."


Something New

Artist: Duran Duran
Title: Planet Earth - Live
Notable: Duran Duran was my absolute favourite band in my early teens and I know they're still going strong (ish) these days.  Much to my surprise they released a live album in June of this year so they get the somewhat liberal nod as being "new".  They were the first band I ever saw live and I had the BIGGEST heart wrenching crush on Nick Rhodes and John Taylor. I was at the concert where they filmed the video for The Reflex.  Yup, me and about 20,000 other screaming girls. 
Quotable: "Look now, look all around, there's no sign of life, voices another sound, can you hear me now?

Something To Consider

Artist:  Midnight Oil
Title: Dreamworld
Notable:  This is one band I really wish I got to see back in the day.  I went to a lot of concerts as a teen but these guys were one band I never managed to catch live.  I was so bummed when they broke up.  These guys are are regulars on pretty much all of my playlists too.
Quotable: "No amount of make believe can help this heart of mine"

  What do you think?  Angst-y enough for you?

4 comments:

Dash said...

Great playlist!
I'm so glad that Duran Duran are having a comeback, I love them and I kind of missed them the first time around.

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Thanks!! Yeah it's funny, there are a lot of 80's bands that are back out touring again! It's great because then a whole new generation gets to experience them.

kelly4482 said...

Okay, STOP IT, get out of my iTunes!!!! Seriously, The Grapes of Wrath is on my list! Duran Duran was going to be but I went another direction.
If you love the Grapes, check out their new single - I'm addicted. "Good to See You". http://soundcloud.com/aporia-records/sets/the-grapes-of-wrath-two-new

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Hahahaha...awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea they had new stuff out! Will definitely check it out.