Thursday, July 5, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Cookies!


So after my post about my meal plan, I got myself organized and ready to cook only to find that our oven decided not to work.  The stove was fine but the oven wouldn't light (we have a gas stove so I don't want to mess with anything).  I turned it on and let it sit, watching the preheat light flash.  I let it sit for 15 minutes.  Nothing.  I turned it off.  I turned it back on and went through the process all over again.  3 times.   Still nothing.  Gah!

What to do? Given that I had all the ingredients for my frittata ready and assembled, I went outside and fired up the BBQ.  I was making it in a cast iron pan so why not cook it on the Q?  Amazingly, it turned out perfectly.  I didn't scorch or overcook it.  That cast iron pan is hands down the best $20 I've ever spent.

Just like camping with a slightly smaller chance of charring!

The other dishes I was planning on making required either the BBQ or the stove top, all with the exception of the one thing I had been craving.  Those delectable chocolate peanut butter protein bars. I wasn't about to hazard making them on the BBQ as protein powder tends to make baked goods quite dry if you over bake it even slightly.  This made me cranky.  My crankiness faded as I was shuffling through a few papers on the kitchen counter and I came across this recipe for no bake cookies that I had printed ages ago.  They weren't protein bars but as far as a sweet snack goes they were better than a chocolate bar or some other baked good filled with refined ingredients.  I put all the ingredients together and found I had to add some coconut milk to get the right consistency.  Popped them in the freezer and about 10 minutes later, voila!  A tasty little treat.

Where's the chocolate?
  It didn't satisfy my chocolate craving however.  And that's when it hit me.

Why not make these CHOCOLATE coconut cookies???  D'uh!  I promptly set about getting all the ingredients assembled and mixed.  I added 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to the mix and 3 tbsp of coconut milk to get the batter nice and moist.  Laid them all out on a cookie sheet and popped them in the freezer.

Oh yes.  This is what I had been looking for.  It was a Mounds chocolate bar minus the guilt.  Ok so they aren't exactly low cal or low fat but I know what's in them.   Thanks to Katie for the original recipe.

Chocolate Coconut No Bake Cookies

True to Katie's original recipe, these are grain free but given that I used protein powder sweetened with sucralose, they're not totally sugar free.  My recipe made 6 cookies but I was pretty generous when doling out the dough.

  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup chocolate flavoured whey protein powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 rounded Tbsp good quality cocoa powder.  I used Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • Stevia to taste  (If your protein powder is sweetened you may not want to add this.  I didn't.  The cookies aren't overly sweet which is fine for me.)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2-3 Tbsp of coconut milk if required.
Add dry ingredients (flours, protein powder, cocoa powder, salt) into a bowl and mix well to combine.
Melt coconut oil in the microwave and add in vanilla. Pour coconut oil mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.   You may need to add a bit more liquid for desired consistency.  If so add 2-3 tablespoons of coconut milk.


I flattened mine into cookies but you could roll them into balls as well.  Place on a cookie sheet and put into the freezer for 10 minutes or so.  Makes 6 medium sized cookies.  Wrap 'em up and keep in the freezer.  I let mine thaw out for a couple of minutes before eating.

Enjoy!


There's the chocolate!!!



Do you crave sweet or salty things?  

If you crave sweet, is there a particular flavour combination that you love?   I'm a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter and chocolate and mint.  Preferably dark chocolate.


(photo credits: Phaedra Kennedy)

No comments: