Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Sunday Ritual: An Easy Week

It's that time of week again! Given that I am going to be shooting 3 days this week, I don't need to worry about lunch every day.  It likely means I'm going to be home late as well so there won't be much in the way of cooking for dinner.  But that doesn't mean that I'm not going be prepared, it just means that I won't be making as much. Our stove has still not been fixed (probably because it took me 2 days to find the manual & serial number) but it should be fixed by early next week. In the meantime, I busted out the cast iron skillet to make my frittata on the BBQ once again.  This one has sauteed onions, mushrooms, zucchini, red peppers, spinach, a bit of 1% cottage cheese and goat cheese.  YUM.
Hot off the BBQ.
The G-man is back and will need food for lunch so he'll probably grill up some chicken breast tomorrow night.  Speaking of chicken, I have some ground chicken that I'm going to make into burgers. I usually make this recipe, sometimes with chicken, sometimes with turkey but I want to try something different this week.  I hit up allrecipes and found a few really yummy sounding recipes.  I also had some ground turkey so I decided to make these Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers. Putting spinach in your burger=amazing.  I love sneaking veggies into things.  I put spinach in my smoothies so why not put spinach my burgers?  I found a couple of recipes for chicken burgers as well so I'm not sure which one I'll make, if an,y this week.  I kinda just want to sit on the couch and read.  But, if I do this now, I'll have plenty of goodies to cover me for lunches and the occasional I-don't-feel-like-cooking-dinner for a couple of weeks.  This is what has made the cut, now I just have to pick one and actually make it. 

Cilantro Chicken Burger.  You either love cilantro or you hate it.  I love it so this sounds amazing.

Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burger.  I love me some smoky chipotle but only in small doses because I'm a wuss when it comes to spice.  That and I don't enjoy getting sweaty while I eat.  What can I say, I have a sensitive disposition.  Pretty sad for a girl who's got the Islands in her blood.

Spinach, Feta & Turkey burger

I've got dinner covered for the few nights this week that I'm actually going to be home.

Monday: Spaghetti squash with meat sauce.  I usually cook spaghetti squash in the oven but, I've done it in the microwave as well so that's what I'll do tomorrow.   Since I've got more ground turkey that's what I'll use for the meat sauce and I'll throw in some garlic, onions and spinach, along with some tomato sauce .  Yummy.


Wednesday:  Cedar planked salmon with a maple balsamic glaze & grilled veggies.  I'll have to remember to soak the plank in the sink before I leave for the day.

Both of these recipes are things that I've made up.  I'm a bit of a "free-form" cooker, I rarely write anything down, I usually just wing it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.   Perhaps this time I'll write everything down and post the final products here.

The rest of the nights I'm either at my run club, working late or we're out for dinner with the family.  Saturday I'll grocery shop and start this all over again.

The one thing that never fails when we're shooting is that there is always a lot of food around.  Some of it good (if I have anything to say about it, it's generally healthy) and some of it not so good.  I have very little self control so I have a hard time staying away from the goodie table.  But, if I bring my own snacks, then I'm less tempted to eat crap.  So, I'm going to cut up a bunch of veggies and have them ready to go and I'm going to make some roasted chick peas on the BBQ.  Low fat and protein packed, you couldn't ask for a better snack.  That's next up on my list and then, the couch may just win out.

Which burger would you make?

Do you have any strategies for eating healthy and staying on track?

No comments: