Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Things I've Learned from My Plank A Day Challenge
Much to my chagrin, I didn't quite make the full month. I missed *one* day. One. Stinking. Day. And why? Because I got sucked into the black hole of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies and completely forgot about my plank. I woke up at 2:00 am that night and thought Crap, I can't believe I forgot to plank! I was seriously tempted to get up and do it but I was having such a good sleep that I didn't want to disrupt it with a plank. So I rolled over and went back to sleep. Such is life. I still made 30 out of 31 days and that's nothing to sneeze at.
I knew that by the end of 31 days, my core would be a lot stronger. But there were some other surprising things I learned along the way.
1. I actually really enjoy planking.
2. Planking is best done before you do any other workout, especially a swim workout or any sort of upper body workout. Unless of course you're Wonder Woman. Then you can do anything.
3. My core is stronger than my upper body. I found that my arms would give out sooner than my abdominal muscles.
4. Child's pose feels like heaven after a good solid plank.
5. I can pull of a 5:30 plank circuit after a burger, fries and a pint of beer. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really enjoyed your dinner so much so that you want to taste it again.
6. Side planks have worked wonders for my obliques.
7. I enjoy planking so much that I will probably continue to do it. Maybe not every day but certainly on a regular basis and definitely not after a burger, fries and a pint of beer.
Did you do YOUR plank today?
Did you follow along on twitter and if so, did your plank time improve over the last month?
(photo credit: Suanie Image is subject to a creative commons attribution license)