Thursday, March 3, 2016

45 Lessons I've Learned from Running & Triathlon

Today's the day.  The day I officially change age groups.  WOOHOO!  You know you're a triathlete when this is a good thing, ha ha.  It's going to be nice to be the young one in the age group again.  Not that it's going to make things any easier but it's helpful, ha ha.



Mentally I still feel like I'm 25 but lately my body has been telling me otherwise.  There are a lot more aches and pains and it doesn't seem to take much to tweak something.  Every week there seems to be a bit more grey in my hair.  Sleep is becoming a precious commodity at certain times of the month.  Things are definitely a-changing.  That's life.


via GIPHY

In honor of my "aging up' to 45 years young, I'm going to share 45 things I've learned over my many years of running and triathlon.

1.  Miles go by faster with friends.

2.  Really long bike rides always lead to really interesting conversations.

3.  I'm stronger than I give myself credit for.

4.  There's nothing like a race to truly test one's limits

5.  You CAN teach an old dog new tricks

6.  Boob chafing is a real and painful thing.

7.  Forget diamonds, body glide and chamois cream are a woman's best friend.  See #6

8.  Shame is a word that has ceased to exist in my vocabulary and in my behaviour. This becomes more apparent with every passing year.

9.  I've become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

10.  Never trust a fart in an Ironman.

11.  Don't forget to breathe.

12.  Some workouts are going to be awesome, some workouts are going to suck.  Sometimes you just don't know what you're going to get until you start moving.

13.  Never be afraid to try.

14.  Getting to the start line is half the battle.

15.  Sleep is NOT overrated.

16.  Neither is crying.  Sometimes it's necessary.

17.  Nothing worth doing is going to be easy.

18.  The smallest things can make the biggest difference.

19.  Your mind can be your best asset or your worst enemy.  Train it well.

20.  Bad workouts happen, it's not the end of the world.

21.  Tomorrow is another day to try again.

22. Comparison is the thief of joy.  Do your own thing!

23.  Sometimes you need to think less and just do it.

24.  It's ok to fail.

25.  You can't control everything, especially the weather.  Learn to go with the flow.

26.  No one looks good in race photos.

27.  Smile when you're hurting.  You'll feel better!

28.  Always have a back up plan.

29.  Don't be afraid to dream big.

30.  Things could always be worse.

31.  Always wear sunscreen.

32.  Shit happens.  Literally and figuratively.

33.  ABYOTP - always bring your own toilet paper - see #32

34.  A good run will solve almost any problem.

35.  Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

36.  Pain is temporary but the pride of your accomplishment lasts forever.

37.  There's no such thing as a worthwhile short cut.  Except maybe one that gets you to a bathroom faster.

38.  Never underestimate the power of a good warm up.  Especially as you get older.

39.  When you pass another runner or cyclist, wave hello.  It's the nice thing to do.

40.  Peeing in your wetsuit is a right of passage.  Everybody does it.

41.  Pay attention.  You may miss something wonderful.

42.  Rest is part of the program.

43.  Treat your body with respect.  It's the only one you've got.

44.  Don't dwell on your failures.  Learn from them and move on.

45.  Age really is just a number written on the back of my calf.


What lessons have you learned through running or triathlon?

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for 40% off at Momentum Jewelry! 

No comments: