Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Winding Down

I can't believe that summer is coming to a close.  Sure technically it doesn't end for another month but as far as I'm concerned as soon as school starts, that's the end of summer.  Things get "back to normal".  That means my gym will get busy again and my commute to work will double.  So many great things to look forward to, ha ha.

Aside from the weather being less than ideal, this has been a pretty good summer.  I didn't race my butt off like I did last year so I'm not feeling the burn out I was feeling this time last year.  It was a busy summer but I actually got to enjoy it.  I think the three weeks in Europe definitely helped in that regards. 

I've got my last official race this weekend.  I say "official" because as of right now, that's the last thing on my calendar that I've registered for.  There is one more triathlon in September that I may do depending on where I stand in the points after this weekend but things are definitely winding down.

Normally I'd have committed to a fall half marathon by now but I haven't just yet.  I'm holding off for a bit longer just to see how all this knee & hip business fares.  I feel like I've been getting better but for the last few weeks,  I've only been running twice a week so that might be why.  I may be able to get away with two days a week of running if I continue to ride on a regular basis although I may have to adjust my expectations time wise.  Last year I was putting in a lot of time at the track.  This year I'm not sure I see that happening until I can start a run 100% pain free.  I'm slowly getting there.

I've had several people as me what my plans are for next year and for the first time in a long time, I'm not really quite sure.  I do know what I WON'T be doing:  another spring marathon.  I've run a spring marathon every year for the last 3 years and I think it's really taken a toll on my body.  So next year, I don't plan on running any early season long distance races.  No Chilly Half Marathon, no Around the Bay.  Nada.  I'm thinking I might actually tackle some shorter distance races (5, 8 & 10km) on a more regular basis. 

As for triathlons, I definitely want to get some help with my swim issues.  I may go back to see that Cognitive Behavioral Therapist I saw two years ago.  I also think I need to get to some open water swim clinics so I can learn to stay calm and focused at the start of the swim.  The swim is my weakest link of the three.  I'm not bad but I know I can be so much better as long as I don't let my head get in the way.   Distance wise, I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year.  I love racing sprints so I'm sure I'll continue to do that but I may look at different races next year.  I also really enjoyed racing the 70.3 distance so who knows, maybe there's another one in my future. 


Normally I feel a little bit lost without a major goal but right now I'm ok with it.  These last few years have been pretty action packed.  Your body isn't the only thing that needs a break.  Sometimes you mentally just need to step back and chill out. 



That being said,  I'm sure by the time Christmas rolls around I'll have half my 2015 race calendar filled out.

Who's started planning their 2015 races already?

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I have! I'm planning on doing a sprint tri in Peterborough, possibly a tri-a-try in the beginning of the season and Iron Girl in August. I'm thinking about a fall marathon with a couple 5 ks thrown in.

TriGirl said...

That's me this year. I planned 2 races: a spring half marathon, and a fall full marathon. I ran a 10k with my sister but it was not for time.
I think it's so easy to get caught up in the racing mentality until our bodies remind us to take a break. Glad you're on the mend :)

Kristen said...

I honestly had no idea that swimming was that difficult for you mentally, but can completely understand. If you learn about or have any pointers for those of us who struggle with the swim, feel free to share. I felt comfortable during my last race, but it was primarily because of the white rope that I was able to stay on top of. I don't do well otherwise. Hopefully this will change for me in the upcoming year. I am planning on doing IM Canada!