Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Sunday Ritual, A Recipe and A Race!

Yet another weekend has come to an end far too soon!  That means once again, I'm thinking about what I'm going to eat this week.  I've decided to wing it again because quite frankly, I'm exhausted.  I don't have the energy or desire to spend 2 hours cooking today.  Why?  Because I raced this morning.  YEAH BABY, I'M BACK! 

After 2.5 weeks off and another week of slowly getting back into running,  I was starting to feel like things were coming together.   A massage on Wednesday seemed to get the rest of the kinks out and after my long run on Friday night, I felt that I was good to go for today.  Given that I hadn't done much riding or fast running, I didn't have high hopes for getting on the podium.  I'm not going to lie,  with all the success I had last year, it's always something in the back of my mind when I go into a race.  Even today's race.  I always manage to pull a horseshoe out of my ass somehow and waayyy deep down inside I had some hope that might be the case today.  Reality told me different, but like I've said before, I'm stubborn.  Gary's words of advice were to just go out, work hard and enjoy myself.  So rather than focus on perhaps getting on the podium, I thought that 1) I should just be grateful I'm actually able to race today and 2) I should just go out and have fun.  Let the chips fall where they may.   I'll post a full race report tomorrow but for now I'll give you the Coles Notes edition.
I took Gary's advice and went out and had fun.  Doesn't mean I didn't push myself.  If there's one thing I love to do it's toe the line of implosion.  I am a red-liner.  They don't call it a sprint race for nothing!  I did have a goal and that was to finish under 1:55.  The course was totally flat so I figured that shouldn't be a problem.  Of course I was concerned about the swim.  Lake Ontario is a very big body of water and it can get rough, which it was today.  I had a bit of panic on the way out as I kept getting slapped in the face with water but once I sorted out my breathing and made it around the first buoy, I was good to go.  As was evidenced by my swim time of 14:38.  Which for me is a BIG deal.  I had a bit of a calf cramp on the way back in but I managed to kick it out.
With the swim over I was good to go!  I rode like a maniac on the bike.  I managed to pass 2 women in my AG.  The hunt was on.  I was really hoping no one would pass me.  No one did.  On to the run, my favourite thing!  It was a combo of grass, pavement and sand.  Loved the grass, pavement was ok and the sand, well it was crappy but luckily we weren't on it for that long.  It was stinking hot out as well so I kept pouring water over my head to cool down.  I picked off 2 more women in my AG.  I had no idea how many women were in front of me.  I saw one that I figured was in my AG because her race number was close to mine.  She was a fair ways in front of me so I didn't think I could catch her.  I didn't really care I was just happy to be racing.  I busted my butt on that run and as I came towards the finish line, I glanced at my watch.  It just ticked over 1:48.  I smiled to myself.  Not only was I faster than I thought I'd be but I raced completely pain free.  No calf issues, nothing.  I REALLY needed a day like today.   Final time 1:48:17.   Final place?  Fourth! Normally I wouldn't be too thrilled with that but today I'll take it.  I know I hoped for better but I also knew that I was grasping at straws.  What I was super pumped about was that I had the 2nd fastest run in my AG.  Woohoo! 

Top 5 Finishers in the 40-44 AG.

I know the folks that read my Sunday posts always like to see what I'm making so, I'll leave you with a recipe that I plan on putting together for dinner.  I can't take credit for it, though.  Credit goes to my friends Julie & Raff.  I'm going to add a few things to it though just to bump up the flavour a bit.

Black Bean & Tuna Salad.

1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 can of flaked tuna in water, drained
1 corn on the cob, cooked and cut off the cob
1 avocado, chopped
1 mango, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 very small red chile, minced (or use red chile flakes or go without)
1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped (or more if you love it like I do)
1 tbsp of olive oil - 1/2 avocado oil 1/2 olive oil
the juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste

Put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and enjoy!

I'm going to leave you with a pic of all my goodies set up in transition.  I seem to have a thing for pink.





What did you get up to this weekend?




No comments: