Thursday, August 23, 2012

Playlist Thursday: Never Gonna Give You Up

Friday is still my favourite day of the week but Thursday is a very close second.  Why?  Because in my little blogisphere, Thursday isn't just Thursday, it's Playlist Thursday.    That means the potential for new tunes to be added to my running playlist.  And having new music to run to is almost as exciting as getting a new pair of running shoes!

This week's theme is Never Deleted.  These are songs that you think will always be a part of your running playlist.  Ones that you'll never give up.  I've got a few really good keepers.  They are songs that always help me find that extra gear, the ones that always make the cut for my race day playlist.  So let's get this party started...

The "rules" of Playlist Thursday:
  
Something Old:  Songs that are at least 5 years old.  
Something Current:  Songs that have been released in the past year.
Something to Consider:  This is the wild card category.  Any song goes:  old, current, guilty pleasure, whatever floats yer boat.

Check out all the other participants picks on Brian's blog .  I'm sure you'll find more musical inspiration!

Something Old
Artist: Rush
Title: One Little Victory
Side Note:  These guys are one of my all time favourite bands so it's a given that at least one of their songs was always going to be a keeper (there are a few but for this post, I've chosen this one).  This song fires me up big time.  The opening guitar and drums makes me want to run for all I'm worth.  It's a great song to play towards the end of a race. Unfortunately there's no video for it, other than some poorly recorded live versions so I've chosen this boring version so you can hear it in all it's studio glory.
Quotable:  "A certain measure of righteousness, a certain amount of force, a certain degree of determination, daring on a different course"

Something Current
Artist: Fun
Title: Some Nights
Side Note: I found this song via iTunes and it's made a permanent home on my playlist.  There is joyous feel to this song (even though the video and lyrics are anything but) that makes me happy to be alive, healthy and able to move my body.  

Quotable:  "Well some nights I wish that this all would end, cause I could use some friends for a change."


Something to Consider
Artist: Mumford and Sons
Title:  The Cave
Side Note:  All I have to say is holy moly do I ever love this song.  The harmonies, the banjo (!) the arrangement.  Everything.  Really makes me want to run.  Their new single is also a-ma-zing.  Can't wait for the album.

Quotable:  "And I'll find strength in pain and I will change my ways, I'll know my name as it's called again."




Do you have favourites that you'll never delete from your playlist?





1 comment:

PavementRunner said...

Great songs! Mumford is a great song to run to. Fun. is also awesome, but I have WE ARE YOUNG as a permanent.