Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Sporting Bond

This past weekend we went up to Windermere House for our friends wedding.  Said friends met through mutual friends in the triathlon community.  Their engagement last year prompted me to write this post about how I met my husband.  Which got me to thinking once again about how much sport can unite people both literally and figuratively.  Case in point:  Back in 1993 when the Maple Leafs were actually still a decent hockey team, they came very close to making it to the Stanley Cup Finals.  I happened to be at a bar downtown with my friends for one of the games.  It was a close one and the Leafs won it.  Judging by celebration on Yonge Street, you'd think they won the Cup.  Everyone flooded out onto the street, hugging and high-fiving total strangers.  I see a similar thing happen at races, especially towards the finish line.  Strangers cheering on strangers, offering up support and high-fives.  That's what I love about sport in general.  It unites us all in a common bond, whether it be for a lifetime or just for an evening.  The best part is, you don't have to be an athlete to be a part of that bond.  You just need to be passionate about a sport, whether it be through participation or through observation, or both.  It's all about passion.  Passion is what keeps you coming back for more.  It's what creates that sporting bond and, if you ask me, makes this world a much more interesting place. 









1 comment:

Jan said...

Yes, totally! That is one of the things I love about running. The running community is so supportive, no matter how fast or slow you are. It's great!