Sunday, February 26, 2012

Miracle of Miracles

I can't believe it.  For the first time since I started this training program, I finally managed to get all my scheduled running workouts in.  Sure I cut my Tuesday workout a bit short but I actually got everything done.  And in the end, my workout yesterday was a bit longer so I came very close to actually running the 58km I was scheduled to run this week. My total mileage this week was 57.24km.  Yeah!  A few more weeks like this and I'll be right back on track.

It was a beautiful day for a run.  Cool and sunny with NO wind (love!).  I was scheduled to do my first ever progression run.  I was looking forward to this workout.  Once I got out, my legs decided that they just didn't want to go.  Great.  I struggled right from the start.  This was going to be ugly.

My plan was to increase my pace every 5km by about 5 seconds per km.  This proved to be a bit more challenging that I anticipated given that my pace was all over the place to begin with.  I tried to keep my initial pace at around 5:15 kms but that was difficult.   My legs just didn't want to cooperate.  I am chalking that up to running 3 days in a row.  This "old" bod can't take that anymore.  I suppose if I had done my 12km interval run on Friday morning vs. Friday evening I probably would have felt a little bit better.  But alas, I did not so I had to work through the aches.  After my first 5km things did feel a bit better but I just felt sloppy.  Not fluid at all.  I chugged along, happy that there was no wind to make me work harder than I had to.   Before I knew it I had made it out to Port Credit.   It was so clear you could see the CN tower.
It was time for me to turn around and head back home.   To say I was tired was an understatement.  I kept looking at my watch to check my pace.  My legs were starting to hurt.  I was 15km in and decided that I was just going to push the pace for the next 8km.  I aimed to hold 4:45's for the next 5km.  That 5km seemed to take forever.  It just about killed me.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the last 3km.  Should I back off and cool down or should I try to pick up the pace once again?  The hard head in me decided that I needed to be able to handle running on seriously tired legs so, I opted to push the pace some more.  I figured I could probably pull off 4:35's for 2km and then ease up for the last km.  I think I managed 1km at 4:35's and then the chute came out.  My legs just plain hurt.  I glanced at my watch and figured that I was close to finishing in 1:55.  I willed my legs to go faster but I was maxed out.  I glanced at my watch: 4:47's with 1 minute and 15 seconds to go till 1:55.  Ugh.  Here goes nothing.  I rounded the bend towards home, legs screaming.   The km's were now down to meters.  I was almost there.  1:55 came and went.  100m left.   Finally.  23.01 in 1:55:24.

That was a tough workout.  I can see why it's a good one for marathon training.  Perhaps the next time I do it, I will have had a more appropriate amount of rest.   For now, it's time to put my feet up and have a well deserved nap.

No comments: