Sunday, July 24, 2011

Formulating A Plan: T-Minus 13 Weeks

The insanity of the last few weeks has dulled my sense of the passing of time.  The end of Le Tour has slapped me back to the reality that summer is half over.  Ok, half over is a bit of a stretch, but August is almost here.  There is already back to school stuff in the stores (very annoying when you're trying to find a new bathing suit)!    Fall is the farthest thing from my mind right now.  Although given that my A-race is only 13 weeks away, I should probably start focusing on my training plan.

I've gotten the loose frame work of my long runs plugged into my calendar.  It's going to be tough given the amount of racing I want to do in late August and mid September.   But, I'll make it work.  I'm sticking with the Runner's World plan that got me to my 1:41 finish at the Toronto Women's Half.  What I absolutely NEED to do is get to my run group during the week.  Those workouts will be the key to getting me faster.  It's been tough given the fact that work has been so busy.  The next couple of weeks look good work wise so I should be able to start August off on the right foot.

My strength training program has been excellent.  My legs feel good.  The true test will come when I start doing over distance work later on in my training.  I have managed to develop some decent upper body strength as well as core and back strength.  I gotta say, the weight program is challenging but I love it.  I'm not lifting terribly heavy but heavy enough that I'm a bit sore after.  I've also worked at increasing my weights every week.   I'm coming to the end of the first phase this week and I'm looking forward to starting the next one.  Granted I've missed a few Saturday workouts due to racing and moving but that's ok.  I'm going to re-visit this program in the off season and follow it properly.   I think it will be just what my body needs to get it ready to tangle with the 26.2 mile monster again.

Yes.  I said it.  There is a very good chance I may go down that road again next year.  Even though I said there was no way.    I've been thinking a lot about it and I think it would be quite poetic to try and get myself another B.Q (Boston Qualifier) 10 years from the first time I qualified.  So we shall see.  I'm not fully committed to that just yet.  We'll see how I fare with my racing for the rest of the year.  In the meantime,  I need to get my butt off the couch and out the door.   I haven't run all week.  I'm not going to get any faster if I don't get out and do the work.

Happy Trails!

No comments: