Monday, December 7, 2015

A Tough Decision

If you've been reading this blog for the last year or so, you'll know that I've been struggling with knee issues.  They seem to come and go and just when I think I've gotten better, they crop up again.  I can't seem to figure out what the trigger is other than the fact that it's something chronic that needs fixing.  And fixing it must involve rest.  Rest is something that I'm not terribly great at.  I'm good with giving myself a week or two off running after a big race but the not running is usually replaced by cycling.  I have decided that I'm going to take the rest of December off of running and cycling and focus on strength & flexibility as well as swimming.  I have big goals for 2016 and I'm really worried that if I keep pushing through this discomfort that I won't be able to chase those goals.

I have my suspicions as to where it's stemming from.  It's taken multiple opinions and tests as well as a lengthy process of elimination to get there.  The biggest issue was fixing my lazy ass and wobbly hips as well as my gait, both of which I have addressed.  That helped for a while but there is something else amiss and I really notice it when I'm in the pool.  I think it's my ankles.  My right ankle has a much more limited range of motion than my left and it's my right knee that is bugging me.  I have a little routine that I've started doing that I will get into in another post.  For now, it's all about rest, recovery and foam rolling.  I am going to see a friend of mine who is a physiotherapist to see what she thinks.  She has said she doesn't want me to give her ANY MRI or x-ray info.  She wants to do some tests and then formulate an opinion.  So that will probably happen in the next few weeks. 

This means my weekly recaps will be somewhat boring, ha ha.  But that's ok.  It will give me more time to share my rehab workouts with you all!  That brings me to this past week's workouts.  There wasn't much as some of our training plans got derailed by the delivery of a new stove and a late night out.

Our fancy new stove!

Me & My Best Bud Sue, before things got crazy, ha ha
 Monday:  2550m swim + 60 minutes of hot yoga in p.m.

Tuesday:  7.7km run + 50 minute strength work in the gym
Wednesday:  2300m swim
Thursday:  6.7km run + 55 minutes of strength work

Busted out my new Dona-Jo Tights.  LOVE these!
 Friday:  OFF
Saturday: 60 minute spin in the pain cave
Sunday:  Nursed a hangover, haha.

Total time 6h 43 minutes.  I'm happy I got to yoga again.  That was a particularly sweaty class as it was packed and I loved every minute of it.  Not sure that's going to happen this week but now that I won't be riding on weekends, I suspect I'll be able to get a class or two in.  

On Saturday G and I went out to Hamilton for the Recharge With Milk Awards Series banquet.  At the beginning of the year I had said that one of my goals was to take the 40-44 year old age group title for the third year in a row.  I am happy to say I achieved that goal.  Next year I move up to a new age category so I'll have a whole bunch of new ladies to chase.  


I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!  Only 18 days till Christmas....tune in tomorrow for our rescheduled Tri Talk Tuesday post on "Gifts for Triathletes".

How was your weekend?  Have you finished your Christmas shopping?



No comments: