Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Weekly Recap and a New Ride

Oh Hiiii Tuesday.  Damn, those four days just FLEW by.  On the plus side, at least it's only a 4 day work week.  I mentioned last week that we were heading up to our friends cottage for the weekend.  What a weekend it was.  Finally we had some beautiful summer weather.  Friday was sunny and hot and we drove up to the cottage with the top down on the EOS.  Sitting in traffic with the top down seems so much more tolerable.  It's almost enjoyable. 

I was really looking forward to this weekend.  Firstly because we were getting to hang out with our friends Rick and Sue, whom we haven't seen in ages.  Sue was my training partner for the longest time.  Now she's got two little ones so it's hard for her to get out and do things.  But she got out with us on Saturday for our ride.

Reunited!
Secondly, my local bike shop, gave me this beauty to test ride.


OMG.  I am in love.  I have been coveting this bike ever since G got his but I kept telling myself I'd wait until next year to get a new bike.  Riiight.  Don't get me wrong, I love Scotty but he's 7 years old. Let's just say we've outgrown each other.  When it comes right down to it, he's no longer suited to my new found bike strength.  He's still got a lot of life left in him so I'm hoping I can find him a new home.  In the meantime, I've pulled the trigger on the Ultegra version of this bike.  The one pictured here is the fully tricked out electronic version.  I loved riding it and shifting was a dream but in my opinion, it's not worth the extra $$.  I'd rather use that money to buy race wheels.  

This week ended up being pretty decent in terms of training volume.  I'm still not running as much as I was this time last year but it's probably for the best as my knees seem to be getting better.   They get a little cranky if I've done too much (like my hilly long run on Sunday) but they seem to sort themselves back out with some good stretching and foam rolling.  This is how my week rolled out:

Monday:  2000m swim
Tuesday:  Strength & flexibility workout in a.m.  7km tempo run in p.m. - was still feeling pretty tired from Sunday's race
Wednesday: 2050m
Thursday:  Strength workout in a.m. followed by a 20km trainer ride. I would have done a brick but I didn't have time.
Friday:  OFF
Saturday: 84km hilly bike ride.
Sunday:  17km hilly run

Total time:  9h 27 minutes.  Wow.  But at least that includes 2.5 hours at the gym.  

Swim:  4050m
Bike: 104.43 km
Run:  24.40 km

I'll be getting my new steed tomorrow and then baptizing him by fire in the Morning Glory CC 2nd Annual Time Trial.   My race team, Real Deal, sponsors this time trial as well as the regular Thursday night TT series that they run all summer.  This will be the first time I've ever raced a stand alone time trial (i.e. no swim to warm me up) so it should be interesting to say the least, ha ha.  Unfortunately I won't have race wheels for my yet to be named steed so we'll see how that affects my time.  I do have an aero helmet and a high tolerance for pain so hopefully that helps. 

How was your week of training?


2 comments:

Sam said...

LOL I knew you'd buy that bike. Probably so did the bike shop. #easysale I'm looking to buy a bike in the spring so post your bike for sale when you put it up. Not sure if it's in my putting a kid through university budget but one can dream LOL Great week looks like you're recovered from the 70.3

Ursula said...

Oh wow that bike is beautiful. My friend has the one you bought (less tricked out) and it's amazing. I'm so tempted to purchase one but it's still a big expense. Although it must be such a blast to ride!