Sunday, June 30, 2013

#GoalGetter2013 - June

I had high hopes for June, really I did.  But looking back on the month, I think I was being a bit unrealistic.  I had 4 races in the span of 5 weeks and I think that really threw me for a loop with my regular training routine.  I basically raced, then recovered, raced, then recovered.  There was no real opportunity for me to get into a regular routine with my training as I needed the time to recover.  I ain't no spring chicken anymore so I need the down time after hard efforts.   I tried to squeeze things in where I could but needless to say, the things I had wanted to accomplish didn't really happen.  Let's take a look at where everything panned out.

My #plankaday goal.  Never happened.  I think I can count on both my hands the number of times I actually did planks.

Riding twice a week.  Also didn't happen.  The weather had been quite wet and thunderstormy this past month which, in my books, isn't conducive to riding outside and setting my bike back up on the trainer just seemed like too much trouble.

Getting back out with my run group.  This happened a couple of times but again, not as much as I would have liked.  I'm chalking that up to all my racing.  This past week I felt the need to slow things down and while I could have gone and run with the group, I just felt like my body needed a break from the hard efforts so I didn't go.

Yoga.  Ha ha ha ha.  Never happened.  However I am still stretching and foam rolling regularly.

My swimming has stalled as well.  I think because I've been racing, I've missed my normal third day of swimming.  What a difference!  Our Sunday swims have stopped for the summer so now I'm going to have to swim at the public pool at the bottom of our street if I want to get a third day in there AND still have a day off.

Speaking of Sunday swims, now that those have ended, I will be focusing on building up my run mileage again.  I will be taking things very easy pace wise for the month of July and then ramp things up come August.  Given that I'm not racing again until July 28th, I should be able to get back into a good solid training routine.

Here's hoping that July will be a bit better in terms of incorporating more of my mini goals into my routine!

How are you doing with your 2013 goals?





No comments: