Sunday, April 15, 2012

12 weeks in: Mississauga Marathon Training Update

The Universe finally seems to have gotten it.  I can't believe I've actually made it through these last 4 weeks with minimal disruption.  I also realized that my updates have not really occurred when they were supposed to!  HA.  I'm actually a week off.   As of today, I've got 3 weeks left till Mississauga, not 4.  So it's pretty much taper time.  I'm so glad my friends Mike & Mel decided to get married in Jamaica this week.  Yah Mon.  We're off to the land of Bob Marley and jerk chicken on Thursday for a week of fun in the sun.  I know I'm going to have to do some training while I'm down there.  It may only involve sprints to the bar but that's better than nothing, right?  I've logged all the long miles, now I just have to focus on intensity and getting some rest.  Sleeping on a beach counts as rest right?

These last 4 weeks haven't been too bad.  I've missed some runs due to racing, recovery and getting sick but I've tried to get most of my mileage in.  The bigger deal is that I haven't missed a long run yet and I don't intend to.  I couldn't see myself running 23km around the resort in Jamaica so I'm going to do my long run on the Wednesday night before we leave.  That still counts in my books!

So this is where I've netted out over the last 4 weeks.


Week of March 19th
I was still dealing with some residual leg issues so I cut my distance back a bit for each run this week.  I was also going to be racing Around the Bay that Sunday so I didn't want to overdo it during the week.   I was also still fairly busy at work.
Scheduled Mileage:  68km  Actual Mileage:  58.14km - not bad.

Week of March 26th:
I was recovering from Around the Bay so I figured my Tuesday night tempo run was definitely not going to happen.  It was a scheduled "easy" week so I didn't mind cutting back on my mileage a bit.  My Sunday run that week was only 17km.  What a treat that was!
Scheduled Mileage:  47km  Actual Mileage: 36.25km - not bad.

Week of April 2nd:
This was supposed to be my biggest week of mileage yet.  I had a race and my longest run within 2 days of each other.  I was planning on racing the Good Friday 10 Miler so I had to shuffle all my runs around.  I was going to use that race as my long tempo so my Tuesday night run ended up being hill repeats.  I didn't quite get the entire 12 km done but I was ok with that.  I also skipped my easy run during the week.  Sunday's run was my 36km course recce.  Made for a pretty huge week of mileage but I still missed my target. 
Scheduled Mileage:  71km  Actual Mileage:  65.13km - pretty darned good. 

Week of April 9th:
This week started off with such promise.  I felt a little run down on Tuesday but not too bad.  I figured I'd go out and run at least a 13-14km tempo vs the 17 I was supposed to do.  I ran just under 15km and when I got home, I couldn't warm up.  Uh-oh.  Sure enough I woke up that night with a totally stuffed up nose.  I thought it might have been allergies because my ears and palette were itchy so I took an allergy pill.  Took care of the itching but not the stuffy nose.  The stuffy nose turned into a runny nose and a lot of sneezing which then turned into a nasty cold and had me on my ass all day Thursday.  I probably should have stayed home Friday as well but I didn't.  My big goal this week was to get my 32km with hills run in and I was doing that on Saturday so I could go and watch the G-man race Paris to Ancaster again.  I woke up Saturday morning feeling a whole lot better so I managed to get that run in at least.
Schedule Mileage:  67km    Actual Mileage:  47.03.  Yikes. 


The big question now is will I have done enough to get me to a sub 3:20 marathon?  I don't know.  I don't think I've ever missed as much training as I have with this particular marathon.  I do know that when I train for New York, I may re-think the long tempo runs.  They are a generally a very tough effort and I think those are the runs that really kill me.  I may actually cap those at a max of 15km but we'll see. 

Now it's taper time. Time for me to pack my bags and get my fun on in Jamaica. 

Irie, mon.

No comments: