Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Free Hugs

Nine hours in a car gives you ample time to be alone with your thoughts.  I figured after the drive home from Boston that I'd have sorted through everything that was running through my mind.  I haven't really.   A marathon is supposed to be a celebration of the triumph of the human spirit, not about senseless violence.  This cowardly act just reaffirms what I have known all along:  Runners are a STRONG bunch.  Good luck bringing us down.  If anything you've just brought us closer together.

As for my race, I made a conscious decision to run happy and smile no matter how hard things got.  I kept reminding myself that I was lucky to be there.  I'm so glad I kept that promise to myself.  The result was an absolutely perfect day.  I'll post my race report later in the week once I've sorted my thoughts and had some time to process everything. 

What this tragic turn of events has taught me is that the running community is truly AMAZING.  There are so many of you that I have never met and may never meet but because we share a common love of a sport, we immediately embrace each other as friends.  I was touched by all your messages, tweets, emails, texts and messages on Instagram.   As I posted on Facebook yesterday:  Finally back on home soil. Can't wait to get home. Just a heads up that if I see you tomorrow there is a very good chance I'm going to give you a hug. Life's too short guys, remember that.

I did just thatYeah, it was a bit of a hug fest today but I didn't hear anyone complaining.   To all of my blends and virtual friends out there on the interwebz, I'm sending you a virtual hug, because life is too short not to.

Have you hugged someone today? 


 

7 comments:

Abby said...

Hugs to you. I was so horrified and scared for all of you involved. I may have stalked your Twitter feed to make sure you were okay. So glad you are fine.
Actually if I am putting it all out there I totally race stalked you to and had signed up to get race pace updates for you and a few other bloggers. It was so fun to have someone to cheer on and you ran an amazing race. It was so crazy to go from watching your race times to trying to see if you were okay. I cannot even imagine having been there through it. Wow! Hugs, lots of hugs.

Unknown said...

I wanna hug YOU! I'm still elated you're okay and now home to rest. Hugs and love!

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Thanks Abby!! I cannot even begin to tell you how much your support & concern means to me!

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Awww, thanks Kat! All of you blends have been nothing short of amazing! xo

Beka said...

So so so glad you're safe! But you already knew that! It is funny how over the past week, this event has brought so many people who have never met in real life "together" and so thankful for them. *hugs* Erika posted about how the Twitter-verse brings you people who you've never met, and never may, but when you talk about or to them they are instantly friends. <3 I am excited to read your race report. Even through all of the sadness, it is still a day of accomplishment for so many - and even if it sounds selfish, every single runner - who crossed the finish line or not should be PROUD!

rojublake said...

Never a truer word spoken PK. Despite everything that went on in Boston you remain focussed and oh so positive - no wonder you're such a good runner! Here's another virtual hug coming right at ya from one runner to another ...

rojublake said...

Never a truer word spoken PK!
You remain oh so positive after such tragedy following yet another great personal achievement.
No wonder you are such a good runner!
Here's another virtual hug coming right at ya, from one runner to another ...