Sunday, January 31, 2016

#OperationTop5 Week 4: Not as Planned

A training cycle wouldn't be a training cycle if you didn't have at least one week where things didn't go as planned.  This was that week for me.  It started off really well and then just went to hell in a hand basket.  But that's life, right?  Not everything goes to plan and sometimes you just have to wing it.  Or do what you can.  I still had some pretty good workouts so I'm happy about that.   I also had my biggest month EVER in the pool.  This month I racked up 36,850m of swimming in 13 swims.  That's 36.8km in the water.   C-R-A-Z-Y.

This was supposed to be a recovery week and I took that to heart.  I had a few crappy nights of sleep (hello hormones!) plus one late night and that's when things started to go downhill.  Tuesday night I hardly slept, Wednesday night I was out late and once again, I hardly slept.   That's usually a sign that Aunt Flo is on her way.  Thursday I was zonked.  I was tired and incredibly sore from the crazy Electric Yoga class I had taken the night before at the Smart Girl's Sweat Sweatworking Event.  That class reinforced my complete lack of co-ordination, ha ha.  But it was still kinda fun.  Anyway, I was so tired and I felt so crappy that I left work early on Thursday, went home, ran a hot bath and almost fell asleep in the tub.  I was supposed to do a 75 minute bike ride but I had zero desire to get on my bike.  I got out of the tub, had a nap on the couch, then had some soup for dinner, watched a bit of TV with G and was in bed asleep by 9:00 pm.  I finally had a good night sleep and felt human when I got up on Friday morning.

Friday night we hit up 850 Degrees, our favourite pizza place and then went by our friends place for a  drink to celebrate his new job.  It was 11 pm by the time I went to bed.  I actually set my alarm for 7 am because I figured if I didn't I'd sleep in late and then have to rush around to meet my trainer for 9 am.  The rest of the weekend was packed with training, working on my athlete's training plans, meal prep and some well deserved relaxation.

Once again, I'm linking up with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap.  It's a chance to share your week whether it be in workouts or in life.



This is how week 4 of my Operation Top 5 Training went...

Monday:  4.23km run.  3x4 minutes with NO PAIN!  Wahoo!

Tuesday:  OFF

Wednesday:  a.m:  2800m swim.  It was quiet at work so I got in a 5.58km run (4x4 minutes!) mid
afternoon.  p.m. 45 minute Electric Yoga class



Thursday:  45 minutes of strength work.  W.I.P.E.D out.

Friday:  2200m swim

Saturday: 60 minutes of strength work, 2 hours on the bike then a 6.39km run (5x4 minutes)

Made with Super Photo! 
Sunday:  6.9km run up to the pool (6x4 minutes, pain free!) 3250m swim.



Total time:  9h 53 minutes

I was pretty wiped out by the time I got home from the pool.  Not to mention HUNGRY.  Holy smokes.  I'm still trying to get used to fuelling for this increase in training volume.  I've caught myself feeling hungrier sooner so I think I need to increase my protein intake a bit as well as the actual amount of food I'm eating.  It's a fine balance, that's for sure.  I'm patiently waiting for the weight I've put on over the last couple of months to go away.  It has yet to happen.  Oh the joys of getting older.  Boo.

Tomorrow my run plan takes me to 1x 9 minutes of running!  Folks, I'm ALMOST DONE.  I'm starting my last week of this plan.  It will probably take me a week and a half to get through it since I've decreased my runs from 5 a week to 4 a week due to the increase in time for the intervals.  Things are going really well.  I'm staying on top of my niggles - all this glute work I'm doing has definitely made them tighter so I went to see Peter, my chiro on Friday to get some ART work done.  My plan is to see him once a month for a tune up.  I usually only get a massage once a month but I figured the way things are going, I should probably do ART as well.  So that's the plan.

How was your week?  Do you go for regular massage or ART?  

No comments: