Sunday, January 24, 2016

#OperationTop5 Week 3: Almost Up and Running

I can't believe that we are almost at the end of January.  Holy moly.  So far, things have been moving along nicely both with my training and at work.  January can sometimes be totally nuts but this month has been a little quiet.  I've had a good balance of busy and quiet which suits me just fine.  This past week I had two photographers shooting so that kept me busy for a couple of days.  I had two stupid early mornings but sometimes that's a necessity when you're not sure what your day is going to be like.  This weekend was gloriously lazy when you took the workouts out of the equation, ha ha.  I had a nap on the couch on Saturday afternoon and a lovely hot epsom salt bath on Saturday night.  Both necessities for good recovery in my books.  Today we went for brunch with a friend of ours who was in town from Vancouver.  It was nice to hang out and catch up.  Because we were meeting for brunch after our Sunday swim, that meant I had to get my short little rehab run out of the way early.  This made it worth it.


Speaking of my rehab, I should be finished my little rehab plan by the second week of February!  WOOHOO!  If I am pain free, then I should be able to start building up my mileage.  This morning's run was completely pain free.  I think the work with my trainer and all my physio work is starting to pay off.  I don't think I've ever done this much glute work in my life.  I'm going to have buns of steel baby, BUNS. OF.  STEEL!

I spent the rest of Sunday working on training plans and doing a bit of meal prep.  I'm trying to make one or two staples every weekend that I can wrap and freeze.  I'm finding that burgers and burritos are my go to for that.  They don't take too long to make and they're easy to reheat.   I've been focusing a bit more on plant based foods for lunch so my burgers and burritos usually involve beans, sweet potatoes or quinoa.  Pinterest has been a life saver in terms of finding interesting and tasty recipes!

Once again I'm linking up with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap.



Week Three of Operation Top 5 is in the books and it was a good one!  This is how it went dooowwnnnn......

Monday:  5.34km run

Tuesday:  OFF

Wednesday:  5.73km run at stupid o'clock, followed by a 2750m swim.  Not the best idea but if I didn't run before swimming, I wouldn't have run as I was at work late.

Thursday:  75 minute trainer ride in a.m. + 60 minutes of strength work + 6.61 km run in p.m.

Friday:  2800m swim in a.m + 7.45km run in pm.  Under a beautiful full moon no less.



Saturday:  60 minute strength session with my trainer, followed by 2 hours in the Pain Cave on my bike.
No boogers, ha ha!
Sunday:  3.37km run (up to 4 minutes of running - wahoo!) 2700m swim (RECOVERY WEEK IN THE POOL!!  Can you tell I'm excited?!??!) + 30 minutes of upper body and core in the afternoon.

Total time:  11h 43 minutes.   The whole strength work first then bike second really killed me.  But my trainer said it's better for me to do it that way so I'm actually building strength and not having to compromise on the weight I'm lifting because I'm tired.  So that's what I did.  I certainly felt it on the bike as the workout went on.  I had a fair bit of zone 4 work towards the end of my ride that just about killed me.  This week looks to be a little bit easier but we'll see, ha ha.

How was your weekend?  Did you get snowed in?  We haven't had much in the way of snow but it's been chilly, which is fine by me, I just want the snow to stay away.


No comments: