Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Age is Just Number

I've always thought that you are only as old as you feel and I still feel like I'm in my 20's.  For the most part.  Yes, I notice a lot more age related aches and pains and I certainly don't recover like I used to but I don't *feel* like I'm almost 45 years old.  I think I've been blessed with some pretty good genes as well because people constantly peg me as being mid to late 30's, which I will happily take, haha.

I think the bigger part of my "agelessness" is the fact that I am physically active and I take care of myself.  Most people I know that lead a healthy lifestyle seem younger than they are.   My group of training partners is diverse in age as well.  Some of my closest friends are 10+ years younger than me.  Many of the people that I work with are younger than me.  I think those friendships and associations also help to keep me young at heart.  

 

I remember when I turned 31 and how hung up I got on that number.  I was officially a 30-something.  I'm not sure why that bothered me so much at the time but it did.  When I turned 41, it didn't phase me one bit.  In fact, 41 & 42 were two of my best years in terms of athletics.  Almost all of my running P.R's came the year I turned 42.  So much for slowing down as I got older!  I like to think I'm like a fine wine and I'm getting better with age.  I know that the time for P.R's is probably getting a bit more limited but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop racing.  It just means I have to rejig my racing priorities.  For now this "old broad" triathlete will keep pushing her limits every year to keep those 20 somethings on their toes.   

Age really is just a number.  It's a category that you get slotted into, but it should never define or limit you.  I look at it as a chance to add more experiences to my life.  Another year means more time to spend with friends and family, more time for adventures, more time to learn and grow.  Embrace it, roll with it and celebrate it.  Above all, make the most of it. 



Thanks to Deb Runs for another great Wednesday Word!

If you had to pick an age that you felt you were at, what would it be?  I'd say that I feel like I'm about 27 years old.  



Deb Runs

No comments: