Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year & Another Goal

I hope everyone had a fun filled New Year's Eve and managed to start off 2013 on the right (or left) foot, so to speak, ha. 

I would have written this post yesterday but alas my brain didn't have the capacity to formulate complete sentences.  Yeah, I went a bit nuts on New Years Eve.  I certainly didn't think that was going to be the case given that I had been up since 5:00 am but once the dancing started, G was hard pressed to get me to go anywhere.  I love a good dance party.  I don't care if I'm the only one up and dancing either.  I create my own fun, ha ha.  A few drinks always tends to help. 

The look on G's face says it all.

Elaine eat your heart out.
After much dancing and champagne drinking, G finally dragged me out of our friends place around 2:30 a.m.  I fell into bed sometime around 3:00 am.   My internal alarm clock went off at 7:00 am.  I managed to tell it to shut up and I slept fitfully for another couple of hours.  The smell of toast and cooking bacon got me out of bed at 9:00 am.  I took the fact that I was hungry as a good sign, although I still felt a little wobbly when I got up.  After some eggs, toast, turkey bacon, a strong cup of coffee and some GU Brew hydration, I started to feel better.  Good thing because I had an 11.5km run to do with 8 of it at tempo pace.  The plan was run up to our friends place and pick up the car.  This was a strategic move on my part.  I knew that if we didn't leave the car, I probably would have bailed on my run. 

I finally dragged myself out of the house at around 12:30.  I was thankful that the sun was shining.  It was a glorious day out.  My first few steps were not great.  My stomach was not happy.  As I got moving, I started to feel better.  I tried to push the pace after my 2km warm up but it wasn't going to happen.  I decided to just do what I could.  After about 5km, I felt a lot better so I started to push the pace again.  This time I managed to hit my goal pace.  So I stuck it out for as long as I could.  Before I knew it, I was done.  And, miracle of miracles, my hangover was gone.  Running is definitely the cure for what ails you! 
Not a bad effort all things considered!




After my run, I spent the afternoon lounging on the couch watching Top Gear and catching up on some of my favourite blogs.  Melissa at Lift. Teach. Love. Run is participating in a challenge hosted by Jill Conyers and Jen at Marathon Mom.  The challenge is to run 13 races in 2013.  They can be virtual or real races.  I was pumped about that idea and luckily enough the ladies extended the registration deadline to Jan 6th so I jumped on that bandwagon this morning.  Can't wait to get started on that!  Looks like 2013 is going to be a busy one!



How did you spend your New Years Eve?

Did you get out for a run on New Year's day? 

Post a Comment