Thursday, December 13, 2012

Playlist Thursday - Best Songs of 2012

It's getting close to the yearly re-cap time so at the suggestion of Charlotte over at Wild Things Run Free, Pavement Runner has made this weeks theme The Best Songs of 2012.  I like it, even though I don't listen to popular radio much, there have been a few songs this year that I've heard, that have really captured my attention. 

The "Rules" of Playlist Thursday:

Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old.
Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year.
Something to Consider: This is the wild card category. Feel free to list any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever.

Don't forget to check out the Playlist Thursday Catalog for this weeks submissions!

For the “something old,” Brian suggested naming a song (or in his case) a band that made a comeback this year.   I'm taking a cue from him and being a little more liberal with my "Something Old".  I wouldn't say that this band made a comeback, it just took them 5 bloody years to put out another album.

Something Old
Artist: Rush
Title:  The Wreckers
Notable:  This was the second single off of Clockwork Angels and on my first couple of listens, it was one of my favourites.  It now takes the cake as my absolute favourite off that albumDefinitely a bit more of a "poppy" & melodic effort from the boys.
Quotable:  "All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary, of a miracle too good to be true
All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary, everything in life you thought you knew.."

 
Something New
Artist: Mumford & Sons
Title:  I Will Wait
NotableAnother song from this album made the cut on a previous Playlist Thursday post.  This was the first single and is probably up there as one of my faves from their new album.
Quotable:  "And I came home, like a stone, and I fell heavy into your arms, these days of darkness
which we've known, will blow away with this new sun."



Something to Consider
Artist: Atlas Genius
Title:  Symptoms
NotableThis song was featured as one of my selections a couple of weeks ago.  Still flipping LOVE this song.  I can't wait till these guys put out a full length album! 
Quotable:  "So, sweet little lover won’t you let me know? Like a circle round and round we go."


 What were your favourite songs of 2012?  Did any of these make your list?

What was your LEAST favourite song of 2012?


2 comments:

PavementRunner said...

A second one for Mumford. Maybe there is something here. I would expect no "best of" list form you WITHOUT rush. :)

Phaedra Kennedy said...

ha ha ha ha... you've got that right! As for Mumford, Babel is a fantastic album. The more I listen to it, the more I love it.