Saturday, February 25, 2012

Discoveries

The old adage "you learn something knew every day" may very well be a bit cliche but, if you really think about it, I bet most of you do learn something new every day, whether it be about yourself or the world you live in.  These last couple of days have been no exception for me.

Due to my work schedule, I had to shuffle around my runs once again so this meant another week of running on my own instead of with my group.   I had a 17km tempo run to do on Wednesday night and a 12km interval session to do on Friday night.  The tempo run was no problem.  I like to run fast for as long as I can.  Granted I didn't quite make 17km before my legs said eff you but I was close.   And I enjoyed myself.  My run last night was an entirely different story.  For starters, I didn't really know what kind of interval workout I was going to do.  I looked a the club calendar and the workout I had missed was the 15x1 min workout.  Hmmmm....don't think I want to do that on my own.   The previous week I had done a half hearted workout that had me running around the block a few streets away from home.  I thought about doing that and then I figured I'd just do a run with pick ups and fartleks.  I headed out west and as soon as I hit Lakefront Promenade, the wind hit me.  Geez.  For some reason when I left the house,  I decided that I didn't need my gloves (!?!?).  By the time I hit Samuel Smith Park (about 5 minutes from home) my hands were frozen.  I ran out into a gust of wind coming off the spit that just about blew me over.  To hell with this.  I ran out to the end of the path and turned around.  I'll just go do those around the block intervals again.  I ran back through Stan Smith park and back east along Lakefront Promenade over the 7th Street.  I did a few drills and decided that I was warmed up enough.  Off I went.  I think the loop is about 900m.  The last time I did them, I did 3.  I figured I could probably do 4, maybe 5.  I did the first one, stopped to catch my breath with an easy jog.  Dawdled a bit.  Started the second one, rested a bit longer when I was done.  Same with the 3rd and the 4th.  I kinda felt like I cheated a bit.  I knew I had enough in me for a 5th but I really didn't feel like doing it.  So I didn't.  I was only about 7.75km in.  So I opted to just run out the rest of the distance and maybe throw in some pick ups and accelerations in there, which I did.  A half assed workout for sure.  But at least I got it done.  When I made my way up the front porch, the realization hit me.  I don't enjoy doing interval workouts on my own.  I really don't.  I don't push myself as hard as I could.  I tend to slack off a lot more when I a) don't have anyone to chase or b) don't have anyone chasing me.

Who says that we never stop learning?

The second discovery was more of a re-discovery.  I was slated to do an easy 6km run today so I headed west as I usually do and instead of sticking to the bike path,  I veered off onto a gravel path that took me onto the small spit that juts out into Lake Ontario around Samuel Smith Park.  I hadn't run out on this since last spring.  It's a haven for birdwatchers in the summer so there are all sorts of foot paths that veer off into the brush off the main gravel track.   I had forgotten how lovely it is.  There isn't a whole lot of shelter around the outer rim so the wind was pretty epic at some points but I didn't care.  By the time I finished weaving my way around the spit I had covered 4km.  Granted it took me almost 35 minutes to cover that 4km because I kept stopping to take pictures but no matter.  It was supposed to be an easy run.  Needless to say, it was well worth the detour. 

No comments: