Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Random Thoughts on Running

People ask why I run. I say, "If you have to ask, you will never understand". It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels.
~Erin Leonard


I have been asked why I run so many times that I've lost count. There are so many reasons why I lace up my shoes and head out the door - the above quote touching on one of them.

I've put myself through some really tough times and I've had to dig REALLY deep to meet my running goals but the satisfaction that I've gotten BECAUSE of that is immeasurable. No one can take that away from me.

Running is my "ME" time. My time to think or, if I feel like it, to tune out my thoughts. My time to enjoy my surroundings, to take in a beautiful sunrise by the lake or watch the birds or people with their dogs / children. All of these things do not go unnoticed by this runner. They make me appreciate the fact that I am able to get out and move.

A run is like therapy for me. The rhythm of my breath can melt away any source of stress in my life. Things always seem more positive after I've gone for a run. The world is a better place and things that started out as obstacles are now just little bumps in the road.

No comments: