Sunday, April 10, 2016

#OperationtTop5 Week 14: Pump Up the Volume

I am exhausted.  This was a monster week.  The first of a few monster weeks to come.  It was so big,  I didn't have much time to do anything else.  These next two weeks will be much of the same.  But that's ok, this is what I've wanted.  My body finally feels ready for the volume.  Now if only I could sleep.....

It's funny how when I'm back home and back at work that my sleep patterns change.  I get up in the middle of the night more often and sometimes I have a hard time falling back asleep.  When we were away, I slept like a baby.  Probably from being outside all the time and not being stressed.  Stress is just as bad as sitting.  Combine the two and you have a recipe for disaster.  I'm working on the not sitting thing but the stress, well that's why I run.  

Anyway, we didn't get up to much this weekend as last weekend was totally jammed so it was nice to stick close to home.  I did some meal prep and puttered around but most of my weekend was spent training.  And looking at houses.   Yes, G and I are thinking about moving.  When we re-did the house we said we'd never move but after going to Florida and seeing how cheap places were down there, we started thinking, and more importantly, doing the math.   The housing market in Toronto is INSANE right now.   We could get a good chunk of change for our place.  Enough that we could afford to downsize into a townhouse and then have money left over to buy a place in Florida and have a very small mortgage.  G can work from anywhere, the US being the ideal spot as that's where all his work is.  So, if we can swing this, we'd essentially be Snowbirds.  We'd spend 4-5 months of the year in Florida and the rest of the time in Canada.  That would mean I'd have to quit my full time job and get a US work visa so I could work part time in the US.  It's pretty exciting to think about.  G is a bit like a dog with a bone when it comes to things so I've had to put the brakes on him a bit.  These next few months are going to be super busy with training and work and I don't want to add finishing the basement, cleaning out the house and listing it into the mix.  After Tremblant, would be better as we'll have the time and the housing market will be picking up as it always does in the summer.  Something to look forward to for sure!

So that's the exciting bit of news.  Now on to my crazy week of training.  I'm linking up with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap.


Monday:  OFF - I had thought about swimming but got up and looked outside to see snow so I went back to bed.  My coach had given me the option to do a recovery workout or sleep.  I chose sleep.  ATB did a bit of a number on me and I was still pretty tired.

Tuesday:  12km recovery run with my friend David.  It was freezing cold but it was nice to have the company.  

Wednesday:  2300m swim, 40 minute strength session in the a.m.  60 minute ride in the Pain Cave in the p.m.

I'm really tired of this view.  Thankfully I still have a whole season of Breaking Bad to watch!

Thursday:  Back on the bike at stupid o'clock in the a.m. for 75 minutes including 4x6 minute intervals in Zone 4.  I was SOAKED by the time I got off the bike to go do my 4km run.  My legs felt surprisingly good off the bike.  I was quite pleased.  I rewarded myself with a 90 minute massage that night, ha ha.



Friday:  2100m swim - and time to play with the GO PRO  :)



Saturday:  60 minute strength session with my trainer - all upper body and core, then 2h 45 minutes on the Computrainer in the basement, followed by 5km off the bike.  Followed by eating ALLTHEFOOD.

That face you make when you realize you're only halfway through your ride and your legs still feel like crap.

Longest trainer ride this year.  That was a test of my mental fortitude.

Sunday:  2600m swim,  directly followed by an 18km run (longest run this year!).  Never again.  I bonked so hard towards the end, it was a struggle to maintain my pace.  I needed real food in-between my swim and my run.  Next week, I'll go home and eat and then hit the road.  It was also FREEZING cold out.  I was completely frozen when I got back.  So much so that I had to sit in front of the fireplace and defrost.  It's APRIL for Pete's sake.  There should NOT be a WINDCHILL.  




Total time:  12h 45 minutes.  Second highest training week this year.   Boom. 

Swim:  6800m
Bike: 151km
Run: 39.4km 

Only 11 weeks left till Tremblant!

I'm bracing myself for a busy week at work.  The last couple of weeks have been fairly quiet but I've got 2 large projects on the go and another one that should come in tomorrow. Time for me to buckle up!

How was your week?  Did you do anything fun?  Don't forget to check out the other posts in the Weekly Wrap link up!


No comments: