Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Lifelong Relationship

Runners are a crazy bunch. I know that's one of the reasons I love the sport.  When I started this journey 14 years ago, I never thought that I'd love it as much as I do.  Sure we've had our moments, much like any relationship does.  You can't take it for granted and you have to work at it.  I think this can be said for just about anything - if you love it, you'll do it.  

I have to let you in on a little secret.  When I started running, I didn't love it.  Those first few outings were incredibly unpleasant.  I was out of shape and I could barely run for 5 minutes.  The first time I tried that I had a hard time walking the next day.  I had to break it down to a 2 minute jog, 2 minute walk.  It was all about moving forward and doing something for me.  I had a point to prove to myself and the Naysayer in my life who figured it was just a phase.  Thank goodness I'm stubborn especially when it comes to proving a point, because I kept at it.   I would go a little bit longer and a little bit farther every day.  It took me a while but I eventually made it to a full half hour of running non stop.  For those of you that don't think it's possible, humor me and just try.  Take that first step.   Especially today.  Why?  Because it's National Running Day!  Get out there and celebrate the fact that you're able to move your body, regardless of how fast or slow it may be.  You'll be glad you did.  Much like life, not every day will be great but some days will be.  Savour the good days, learn from the bad ones and most importantly, keep moving forward!      

As I look back on these last 14 years, I confess that I am head over heels in love.  I can't imagine my life without running.  All because I decided to take that first step.  Sometimes that first step is the hardest but it's always the one worth taking.

Happy National Running Day!




No comments: