Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Ultimate Clean Slate- Part One

Here it is.  A New Year.  The Ultimate Clean Slate.  What are you going to fill it with?

I've never really been one for resolutions.  I prefer to set goals.  They just seem more concrete.  You (generally) need a plan to reach them and a plan keeps you accountable.  At least it does for me.

The one thing with a plan is that sometimes it becomes all about the plan and I lose sight of the actual journey.  In a world where I always seem to be chasing finish lines, I don't seem to pay much attention to the roads I take to get me there.  That is one of the things I aim to change this year.  It is one of my goals; to be more present in the journey.   Over at Precision Nutrition in the Lean Eating program one of the challenges that is set out is to face your difficult / difficult.  Since I'm not actually IN that program I don't know the exact specifications behind what that task entails but from what I can gather it is supposed to get you out of your comfort zone.  For me, I'd say that being present is my difficult.  I have a hard time with this.  Perhaps it's because I always feel the need to be busy.  Always on the go.  I can't seem to sit still for very long, I'm always flitting from one thing to another, never really soaking up the full experience of anything and in turn, never really dealing with anything either.   I'm not really sure why I do this.  I do know that I am missing out on a lot by doing this.

No more.

It could be as simple as running without music so I can actually hear the birds singing.  To eat more slowly so I can actually savour and appreciate what I'm eating.  To try and stop the chatter in my mind and focus on one thing for more than 5 minutes.

It won't be easy.  But nothing worth doing ever is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing worth doing is ever easy - I like your thinking PK!