Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pulling the Pin

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I generally have a really good reason.  I bailed on a race this morning.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've pulled the pin on a race.  I don't like to do it and there is often a big mental dialogue that goes along with it.  I feel like because I've made the commitment, I have to do it, no matter how crappy I may be feeling.  Which is just ridiculous, especially if it's not an A-race.
This week has been particularly busy, there have been a couple of very long, tiring days which have left me feeling really run down.  I feel like I'm toeing that delicate line between succumbing to a cold or being able to fight it off.  Given that the race today was "just a race" I figured it would be wise to pass on it.  The more important goal of this weekend is to get my 26km run in tomorrow and that is even questionable at this point.
I've got 4 more weeks till my A-race and at this point, I have to make sure I listen to my body and give it the rest it needs, if that means bailing on a race then c'est la vie!  It's just one less race shirt I'll be adding to my collection.

No comments: