Monday, February 28, 2011

The Birthday Bender

So Saturday I did my last long-ish run before the race. I was supposed to do 16km but I went out so late and had so much to do on Saturday I cut it short. I ended up running about 14.5km which is still alright. The massage work I had done on Thursday really helped. My hips and glutes felt looser which is huge. I'm sure I could use a bit more work but it's going to have to do for now. My run felt good, really easy. My average heart rate was bang on and my pace was close to 5:30 /km's which is awesome. I'm hoping I can comfortably hold 5:05-5:10 /km's on race day which would put me under 1:50 for the half. I'd be happy with that for my first effort of the year.

Saturday night was my big night out for my birthday. Boy oh boy did it EVER get messy. But it was a blast. I definitely can't drink like I used to be able to. I think that is a function of 1) becoming leaner 2) being out of practice and 3) just plain getting older! I'm still kinda feeling it today and it's MONDAY for Pete's sake. Ah well, it was a GREAT time and I still have the entire week to recover. I'll be popping cold FX and vitamin C all week just to make sure I don't get sick.

After this race, I'll start to incorporate some new leg exercises as well as more consistent cycling. It might be time to start doing some bricks as well. But we'll see...maybe closer to April.

Things to think about for the next phase!

No comments: